What is known about the origins of Fournes?
Fournes is the oldest village in the Canton. Wisigoths and Saracens lived in this territory. The Francs finally conquered it from the 8th century.
At the beginning of the 9th Century, the Uzes region was a county unlike others. In 823 RAYNALD, brother of Bishop AURELIUS 1st, and his wife, AGILBURGE, gave all their possessions in the county of Uzes to the church of St THEODORE, in particular the area around JALLON (Jarolongo), near Fournès. Today this is a farm. In earlier times it was a village or hamlet.
The origin of the name FOURNES is not known. Castrum de Fornerio appears in 1211, Fornesium in 1384.
Fournes was built on high ground, a fortified castle was built in 1150 under Louis VII the Young. The castle was taken and burned as a consequence of the religious wars during the 16th Century (1576). As protestants and catholics succeeded one another, our village suffered from pillages and reprisals.
Fournes was under the control of a Feudal Lord belonging to the powerful house of UZES. In 1211 Phillipe Auguste transferred the title to the bishopric.
In 1270, Geraud Amic IV, Feudal Lord (of the Amic branch) entered the scene. Having no male issue, in 1364 his daughter, Raimbaude de Sabran, became Lady of Fournes. Sovereignty was transferred, by sale, in 1433 to Reynaud, Vicomte of Murat.
FOURNES became part of the possessions of Saint Privat, through the marriage of Sara de Guerry, the only daughter of Pierre de Guerry and Louise de Laudun, Lord and Lady of Fournes, to Pierre II Faret, on 16 May 1590. Juridically this situation obtained until 1865.
Translators note: This historical sketch was written for an early edition of the local Fournes magazine, "Fournes Info", in about 1985. More is, in fact, known about the origin of the name of Fournes than is mentioned.